What are the symptoms of hypogonadism?:
Low testosterone: Hypogonadism may be diagnosed when a man has symptoms of low testosterone, including low energy, fatigue, and a lower sexual drive.
Patients with secondary hypogonadism: are usually diagnosed during their teen years because they have not started puberty. These patients may not develop the body type, muscle build, or hair pattern seen in adult males. Some men will also have a poor sense of smell.
Infertility: Hypogonadism may be diagnosed when a man has a problem with fertility (cannot father a child) and is found to have no sperm or only a very low number of sperm in the semen.
Adapted from: https://my.clevelandclinic.org
How hypogonadism is initially detected?
- Symptoms should be assessed via a physical examination, patient history and measurement of testosterone levels.
- A blood sample should be taken and analysed to ensure the levels are within the normal range.
- Patients are regarded as having a low testosterone if the serum testosterone is below 12 nmol/L
- Testosterone levels may vary throughout the day and levels follow what is referred to as the circadian rhythm. The best time for testing a person’s testosterone level is first thing in the morning as this is when blood testosterone levels are at their highest.
- The initial testing will be ordered by a General Practitioner and if the serum testosterone is below 12 nmol/L, another blood test will be requested to confirm the low results.
- If the testosterone is confirmed as being low, other assessments maybe carried out, include:
– Luteinizing hormone (LH)
– Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH)
- A refer to an Endocrinologist should be made if testosterone is <12 nmol/L, FSH and /or LH are low or high, and/or prolactin is raised.
Adapted from: Nebido Testosterone Undecanoate.
- Dave Wells can assist you to make sense from the information that you receive from the medical professionals evaluating and treating the Hypogonadism, as well as support you to navigate through its symptoms and any psycho-social effects on your life.